Roller garage doors have become a popular choice for homeowners, offering convenience, space-saving benefits, and security. These doors are widely used in various regions, where they have gained immense popularity due to their practicality and aesthetics.
While garage roller doors provide a host of benefits, their mechanical build also means that they can encounter issues over time. Nevertheless, with regular inspection and maintenance, you can fix all the problems as they develop – sometimes even preventing these issues.
But to be able to do that, you need to know what roller garage door problems to look out for.
In this article, we will explore some common hiccups associated with roller garage doors in Adelaide and provide practical troubleshooting tips to help homeowners maintain them in tip-top condition
One of the most frequently encountered issues with roller garage doors is excessive noise during operation. If your roller doors have become a disturbance to you and your neighbours, the cause might be its worn-out or loose parts, such as rollers, hinges, or tracks.
To address this problem, you may try these steps:
- Tighten loose hardware: Inspect all nuts, bolts, and screws and tighten them if necessary.
- Lubricate moving parts: Apply lubricant to rollers, hinges, and tracks to reduce friction and noise.
- Replace worn-out parts: If you notice severely worn or damaged components, consider replacing them to restore smooth and quiet operation.
Slow or inconsistent movement
There can be various underlying issues when your roller garage door starts moving slowly or exhibits inconsistent movement. Generally, these problems are often associated with the door’s opener system.
Here is how you can troubleshoot them:
- Check remote batteries: Replace the batteries in your remote control to ensure a strong signal.
- Inspect the sensor: Make sure the safety sensors located near the bottom of the door are properly aligned and clear from any obstructions.
- Lubricate moving parts: As mentioned earlier, lubricating the door’s moving parts can improve its overall performance.
Door stuck or jammed
A jammed roller door can be a major inconvenience – it might refuse to open or close, leaving your garage inaccessible during times of need. Common causes include obstructions in the roller garage door tracks or damaged roller parts.
You may try out these steps to resolve this issue:
- Inspect the tracks: Check for any foreign objects, debris, or damage in the roller door tracks. Clean the tracks thoroughly and remove any obstructions.
- Examine the rollers: Inspect the roller parts for damage or misalignment. If needed, replace the rollers to ensure smooth movement.
- Adjust the tracks: If the roller door tracks are misaligned, carefully adjust them back into the correct position using the manufacturer’s guidelines. Alternatively, you can hire an experienced garage roller door repair technician to ensure a more secure and satisfactory job.
The door reverses unexpectedly
A roller garage door that reverses when closing can be a safety hazard as it can damage your vehicle – or worse, injure someone. This problem is typically related to the door’s safety sensors or an obstructed path.
Here is what you can do:
- Clean the sensors: Ensure that the safety sensors are clean and free from dust or debris.
- Check for obstructions: Make sure there are no objects such as your children’s toys or your old boxes, or debris blocking the garage roller door’s path.
- Adjust sensor alignment: If the sensors are not properly aligned, adjust them until they face each other directly.
Weather seal damage
The weather seal on your garage roller door is essential for keeping out the elements, especially in the harsh Australian weather. If you notice the weather seal is damaged or deteriorating, it is crucial to address it as soon as possible to prevent further problems such as mould on your roller doors or in your home.
The following steps can help you fix this problem:
- Inspect the seal: Check your garage roller door’s weather seal for cracks, tears, or signs of wear and tear.
- Replace the seal: If the weather seal is damaged, replace it with a new one to maintain insulation and protect your roller doors and home against weather-related issues. For a foolproof job, engage a professional who does weather seal installations – you might even get a warranty.
Remote control malfunction
It can be frustrating when your roller garage door remote control does not work properly. Imagine trying to open your garage door when you’re late to work, and it does not work. This issue is a result of a variety of factors, including dead batteries or malfunctioning remote electronic parts.
To troubleshoot roller doors remote control problems:
- Replace remote batteries: Ensure your roller garage door remote control has fresh batteries.
- Test multiple remotes: If you have multiple remotes, test them to determine if the issue is with the remote or your garage roller door’s opener system.
- Reprogram the remote: Consult your roller garage door opener manual for instructions on reprogramming the remote control.
Broken torsion springs
Torsion springs are critical components of your roller garage door’s counterbalance system. When they break, the door may become extremely heavy and difficult to lift manually.
This is a dangerous issue and should be addressed by a professional technician who repairs garage roller doors in Adelaide. Attempting to replace torsion springs yourself can lead to severe injuries.
Troubleshoot Roller Garage Doors With AllStyle Garage Doors & Window Shutters
As with any mechanical, heavy-duty machinery, roller garage doors also require regular TLC to ensure they operate optimally and provide homeowners with numerous benefits. The key here is consistent inspection, maintenance, and timely troubleshooting. However, for complex issues or those involving critical components, it is always advisable to seek the expertise of a professional garage door technician.
Apart from offering a stunning range of B&D roller doors, AllStyle Garage Doors & Window Shutters also has a regular roller garage door maintenance program and 24-hour repair service all across Adelaide and South Australia. We even provide roller door installations done by experienced and skilled technicians. Get in touch with us today to learn more about our services and book a free consultation.